a week ago i cast on for a slipover (vest) in a lovely brown shetland yarn by bc garn. i made a swatch, like i always do, washed it and blocked it to be sure that the finished thing would be the exact right size. so far so good. the thing is that quite often my gauge changes while knitting. it gets looser. it’s as if my hands start to relax after while and then my knitting gets looser. this is really not a good thing if you want your knitted clothes to come out in the intended size. i started out with 52,5 cm at the beginning of the back piece, and after a while, the width of my knitting now measures 55 cm. i was supposed to have 24 stitches to 10 cm, and it’s now 23 stitches to 10 cm. that doesn’t sound like it would make such a huge difference, but it does. it’s made the back piece 2,5 cm (1 inch) wider that it’s supposed to be. terribly annoying. no choice but to start ripping…
anyway, i hope it will turn out nice in the end. here’s what i’m aiming at:
and this is what it looks like when i’m trying to figure out my gauge:
i have a finished object, by the way, i’ll try to take some photos of it later today.